Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Angel Baby


I picked her up on the side of the road during the worst thunderstorm I had ever seen.  There was a sudden bright flash of lightning that enabled us to see for a split second.  If she hadn’t been white, I would probably never have seen her.  She was so tiny and was drenched by the rain.   My husband gradually slowed to a stop being careful not to hit or scare her.  I opened the passenger side door and reached down to her and brought her into the car.  As always there is some kind of towel or blanket in the back seat of my car, so I grabbed one and wrapped her in it.  She was shivering and whimpering, so I held her really close to me and cuddled her.  She gradually began to stop shaking. 

My husband said “She probably wandered away from a house somewhere nearby,” but as we began to look around, we saw that there were no houses in sight for miles.   It was very hard to think that someone would have dropped this tiny puppy in such a downpour of rain, not to mention the lightning and thunder.  She must have been really scared out there all alone.

We took her home with us and gave her a warm bath and dried her off again.  She wasn’t afraid of the hair dryer; I suppose it was because of how the warm air made her feel.  After I brushed her she was really fluffy.  Her big blue eyes looked up to me as if to say “thanks mom.”  That did it!  She was mine from then on.   We were never really sure what kind of dog she was, or where she came from.  We decided she must have been a gift to us from heaven, so we named her “Angel Baby.”

She made herself quite at home with us and slept on the chair beside our bed with a fluffy pink blanket around her every night for as long as she was with us.  When her time on earth was over, our Angel Baby floated back up to heaven to wait for us.


No comments:

Post a Comment