Monday, February 14, 2011

My Valentine

My Valentine asked me, "What is a Valentine anyway?'  I said, "I guess it is a Sweetheart."  Then I began to think about the question.

I believe a Valentine, is someone who loves unconditionally, deeply and selflessly.  One who puts others first, and does for them without complaint. 

My Valentine isn't terribly romantic, but he does love me no matter how I act sometimes, his love for me is deep and not superficial and I truly believe that he puts my needs before his on a daily basis.

First, let me say that I am not always a "blessing" to have around.  Sometimes I am grumpy when I come home from work.  Frustrations and extended family problems sometimes get me down and I lash out at the one who loves me the most.  So what I am about to say is even more amazing than one would think.

My Valentine works on the farm feeding and taking care of upwards of 45 head of cattle, along with all the other daily chores a farmer has to do.  He also takes care of his mother who lives with us, making sure she has her meals when she wants them and the medicine she needs.

Most every day I come home to a meal my Valentine cooks for me.  He is a very good cook and even cleans up after himself. 

So, I may not be much of a blessing, but I am blessed to have such a wonderful Valentine every day.  Not just on Valentine's Day.

3 comments:

  1. P.S. My Valentine also does all the grocery shopping and bookkeeping for our household. So you can surely see, that though I may not always be a blessing, I am truly blessed. I thank God for my Valentine every day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so happy you're getting into the bloggy world! And this is a great prose piece, Paula!

    ReplyDelete